A deck is an extension of your home's living space. Because your deck is like another room of the house, you don't just want it to be functional - you want it to be warm and inviting. Traditionally, people have tried to achieve this look with a wooden deck. While there's no denying the beauty of a wood deck, it's no secret that wood doesn't last. Even expensive, high-quality wood that has been maintained will eventually succumb to the normal wear and tear that comes from exposure to sun, rain, and snow. And, in the meantime, wood takes a lot of maintenance to keep it looking great and standing strong.
What if there was an alternative to a traditional wood deck that combined the natural beauty of wood with the durability of a synthetic material? Luckily, there is Wolf Serenity Decking.
American-made Wolf Serenity Decking is a durable, weatherproof alternative to traditional wood decks. It looks like wood — each piece is carefully crafted to look like a wooden board, right down to the grain — but it's a PVC outdoor decking product designed to be stronger and more durable than wood, particularly in coastal or rainy climates.The product performs well with exposure to sun, rain, and humidity. They maintain their elegant, natural look, giving you a low-maintenance outdoor space you and your family can enjoy for years to come.
If you're considering Wolf Serenity Decking, then you already know how to spot a high-quality, long-lasting product. But, there are a few things you'll need to know first.
What Makes It Special?
In the debate between a traditional wood deck and a synthetic deck material, there are three simple reasons why Wolf Serenity Decking stands out from the crowd.
1. It always looks good.
Wolf Serenity Decking features ColorWatch™ Technology, which means the color you choose has long-term protection against harmful UV rays. Wolf’s exclusive ColorWatch Technology provides the best-in-class color protection – in fact, we offer a 25-Year Stain and Fade Warranty.
Because Wolf Serenity Decking isn't made from wood and is designed to minimize moisture absorption, the boards also maintain their original quality. If you live near the coast, or in a region of the country known for humid or rainy climates, this can significantly extend the life of your deck. It's also why a lot of people use this product for pool surrounds and docks. It has the beautiful look of wood — the colors are even designed to mimic the natural grain in wood — but you won't find rotting, splitting or cracking on a Wolf deck.
Choose from a variety of colors, all designed to look like various types of wood. If you're looking for something more traditional, you can choose from a variety of rich colors with natural woodgrain texture of our Tropical Hardwoods collection, including Amberwood, Black Walnut, Golden Cypress, and Rosewood. If you're looking for more of a "coastal" look, our Seaside collection offers a set of solid coastal tones, including Harbor Gray and Sand Castle, which mimics the more weathered look of wood that you'd see near the coast.
2. It's easy to find a Wolf dealer or Wolf PRO.
With our online "Find a Dealer" feature, you can easily locate Wolf products in your region. Our products are sold only through independent dealers with knowledge and experience in selling our products. Why? Because they have been specially trained to know about and understand our products. This means that when you work with them, you'll be working with an expert who can advise you on the best products for your home, as well as how much you need to buy and the installation process in general.
The best way to go about installing Wolf Serenity Decking is to hire a licensed contractor who has experience installing Wolf's PVC decking and other outdoor products. While it certainly is possible to install Wolf Serenity Decking on your own — and many homeowners go for the DIY option — we recommend using a contractor to ensure that your decking is installed according to factory specifications. If you're looking for a contractor in your area who is specially trained in installing Wolf decking and other PVC products, we'd love to help you get started. Another benefit of using a certified Wolf PRO contractor is that you’ll receive an extended five-labor warranty on your project.
3. It's easy to maintain.
If you want it to last, no deck is completely maintenance-free. However, compared to wooden decking, Wolf Serenity Decking maintenance is easy and doesn't require any special cleaners or regular service from a professional. Once your deck has been installed, there are a few things you'll want to keep in mind to keep it looking like new:
- –Wolf Serenity Decking can be cleaned using household cleaning products. Toilet bowl cleaner is especially effective in removing any rust spots that may form. You should avoid using harsh products because they can damage the decking and void the warranty. While there is no set timetable for how often you should clean your deck, we recommend that it be done on a regular basis.
- –Avoid using rubber-backed items like doormats on the deck. Using these over long periods of time can discolor the deck's surface.
- –If you have Wolf Serenity Decking around your pool, don't leave the pool cover in place for an extended period of time because this may discolor the surface of the deck.
- –Some of the chemicals in sunscreen, insect repellent and other similar products can harm the surface of Wolf Serenity Decking. It's important to check product labels and consult the manufacturer for compatibility with plastics before applying these while you're on the deck.
- –If you're removing snow from Wolf Serenity Decking, ONLY use a snow shovel with a plastic blade. Do not try to use a traditional metal shovel.
- –If you are attempting to remove ice from the deck's surface, products containing calcium chloride can be used without damage to the surface, but they may leave a white residue. To remove the white residue, you'll just need to wash the deck surface with a household cleaning product as discussed above.
When you're installing Wolf Serenity Decking, it's important to make sure you are familiar with your local building codes and specifications in your area. We always promise to deliver a high-quality product, but we can't be responsible for telling you what rules and regulations your area has regarding any building or remodeling project. In addition to following the zoning regulations in your area, we always recommend that your plans be reviewed by a licensed engineer, building inspector or architect before you start. It may seem like a hassle, but it will save you from facing problems later on.
Once your Wolf Serenity Decking arrives, it's important to store it properly. You'll want to keep it stored on a flat surface, preferably in a shaded area. You'll also want to make sure it's covered to protect it from any dirt or debris that could mar the surface of the boards.
Whether you're a contractor installing Wolf Serenity Decking or you're a homeowner taking on a project, there are certain tools you'll need for the job. Good news is, even though Wolf Serenity Decking is made from a synthetic material, you don't need special tools to cut and install it. You'll need the same tools for installation that you'd use for a wood or composite deck. However, you will have to make a few adjustments:
- Do not nail Wolf Serenity Deck boards in place. We recommend an electric drill, but self-feeding screw guns can also be used with the recommended fasteners and systems.
- For cutting boards, you'll want to use a miter saw with a fine-toothed carbide-tipped finish trim blade.
- Wear safety glasses or goggles at all times.
As you're working, it's also important to remember that:
- Wolf Serenity Decking boards are not meant to be used for structural applications, supports or beams.
- Your deck should be designed with enough clearance underneath to allow for proper air circulation.
- If you are using an existing support structure, check to make certain all joists are level and structurally sound, and that no nails or screws are protruding.
- Correct joist spacing is necessary for proper installation.
When installed properly with two screws per joist, it's not uncommon to notice a slight gap at the ends of boards or in spliced joints. This is why proper ventilation is so important — it will minimize expansion and contraction of the boards. Besides minimizing the possibility of gaps between the boards, you'll also want to make every effort to:
- Fasten the boards as soon as possible after cutting.
- Fasten boards with two screws no more than 1/2 inch from the ends.
- Even if you're using HIDfast or CAMO® hidden fastening systems, fasten boards with two screws no more 1/2 inch from the ends.
- Boards must be installed together tightly at miters and spliced joints.
- Leave a 1/4 inch gap between the boards and any other structure, such as the wall or post.
- Securely fasten abutments, splices and deck board ends to a building or framing with two screws no more than 1/2 inch from the end or joint.
- Fasten fascia with 2 1/2 inch CAMO® Stainless Steel screws at 12 inches on center and 1 1/2 inches from the edges. Between the on-center screws, use construction adhesive for additional security.
- Use correct fasteners to ensure a quality installation. See our list of recommended fasteners.
- Never strike boards directly with a hammer or rubber mallet. Always use a sacrificial board against the deck board when using hidden fasteners.
- Provide maximum ventilation, especially on rooftop decks and on-grade locations. We recommend including soffit vents and venting holes through sleepers. If you are using sleepers, make sure the decking is at least 3 1/2 inches from grade or roof surface.
- Building codes may require special fastening specifications for dock and pier installations. Again, be sure you know your local rules and regulations.
- When installing at 40 degrees Fahrenheit or below, pre-drill holes for best results.
When you purchase Wolf Serenity Decking, your materials will be eligible for our Limited Lifetime Warranty. This warranty covers manufacturing defects or any kind of rot or structural damage due to termites or fungus as long as the materials have been installed and used as recommended.
We are also proud to offer our customers a 50 Year Stain and Fade Warranty. This warranty protects your decking against fade from light or weather exposure over its lifetime. We offer this because the high quality and durability of Wolf Serenity Decking have proven to hold fast time and time again.
Wolf Home Products has spent 175 years growing our business, earning your trust and your business by providing quality products and craftsmanship every step of the way. By selecting Wolf Serenity Decking for your new deck, you can feel confident in the value and quality you'll receive.