Who doesn’t want a beautiful, functional, and up-to-date kitchen in their home? We all dream of spacious countertops, a plethora of cabinet space, updated appliances, and so much more. Unfortunately, this dream comes with an expensive price tag many homeowners can't afford...right?
As it turns out, that’s not true at all. Here at Wolf Home Products, we believe everyone should be able to achieve the kitchen of their dreams. In fact, we feel your perfect kitchen might be closer than you think, and best of all, you don’t have to pay an arm and a leg to get it. There are plenty of ways to get that kitchen you’ve been dreaming of without breaking the bank. By following these budget kitchen ideas, tips and tricks, you’ll be well on your way to creating your ideal kitchen.
Typical Kitchen Remodeling Expenses
Remodeling a kitchen is notoriously expensive. In the United States, it costs an average of $22,245, and some homeowners pay even more than $50,000 for their dream kitchen. When looking at staggering figures like this, it can be easy to feel intimidated and assume spending a lot of money is the only way to complete a kitchen remodel. But luckily, it doesn’t have to be like that. By spending carefully and planning places to cut expenses, you can easily achieve that high-quality, customized look while still staying within your price range.
Let’s look at some of the specific places people spend money during a kitchen remodel. By examining the topic this way, we can begin to see which areas are most expensive — and, therefore, which areas might be the easiest to cut back.
- Labor: Unless you plan to do all the work of your kitchen remodel by yourself, there will be some labor costs. You’ll need to pay professionals, like the workers installing your appliances and plumbing fixtures, as well as those installing your floors, cabinets, countertops and more.
- Cabinets: Cabinetry will be a significant expense, although there are many options to choose from depending on budget.
- Countertops: If you’re replacing your countertops, keep in mind you have a wide range of options — from the most economical to the most luxurious.
- Flooring: Choose from many different popular kitchen flooring styles, from tile to vinyl to wood and more.
- Appliances: This category is where the options can begin to feel almost unlimited. It’s easy for expenses here to add up quickly, so if you want to keep things economical, keep a close eye on these items.
- Lighting: Light fixtures are one of the more minor areas of expense but will still cost money. Depending on how much rewiring you need, this category can quickly become more expensive than anticipated.
How to Save Money with Wolf Home Products
With so many different expenses clamoring for a portion of your remodeling budget, it can be difficult to know where to save money. Is it better to cut back on countertops or flooring? Should you try to do DIY installations to save on labor, or is it better to pay for the labor and opt for a more economical design?
These are complicated questions, and there are many different ways to answer them. The first and easiest answer we have for you, however, is to shop Wolf Home Products and save. Wolf offers five different cabinetry lines, from those looking for basic, budget-friendly cabinets to those looking for semi-custom designer cabinets.
Since we're looking at how to achieve a beautiful, functional kitchen on a budget, we’d like to draw your attention to our popular Wolf Classic line. These cabinets are high-quality, yet affordable and let you have the best of both worlds when it comes to style and practicality.
When you choose a product such as the cabinets in our Wolf Classic line, you’ll realize it is possible to achieve quality without having to break the entire budget. Because we believe everyone should have access to great cabinets, we've developed our products to be full of features you'll typically find in much more expensive models. In addition, we offer a five-year warranty for your convenience.
With the Wolf Classic line, you also don’t have to compromise on personal taste. These cabinets come in an extensive range of colors, textures and designs, allowing you to choose the particular style that works best with your tastes, as well as your new kitchen design as a whole.
Another benefit of Wolf Classic cabinets is their in-stock availability - select styles can ship in days, not weeks, keeping your project on schedule.
Of course, it’s easy to talk about how desirable a product is, but without concrete information on the available features and advantages, it can be challenging to get a full picture of the products in question. With that in mind, let’s look at just a few of the features that make these cabinets worth your time and attention — all without ruining your entire remodeling budget.
- Soft-close doors: Tired of cabinet doors banging shut when you let go of them? We are, too. That’s why select cabinet styles in the Wolf Classic line offer a soft-close feature that allows them to gently drift shut when they get close to shutting. It isn’t just for doors, either. We also apply this feature to our cabinet drawers, so you’ll never need to worry about slamming anything shut again.
- Plywood construction: Some cabinets may have cheap, flimsy materials, but not these. Wolf Classic cabinets feature 1/2" plywood sides and 3/4" adjustable plywood shelves.
- Dovetail drawers: Few things are more irritating than poorly constructed drawers that are constantly jamming, fitting incorrectly, or sliding out of place. That’s why all Wolf Classic cabinets feature our sturdy, solid-wood dovetail drawers.
- ADA compliance: Select ADA-compliant cabinets are available within the Wolf Classic line.
- Color options: We know everyone has varying tastes, and every kitchen has a different style. That’s why it’s important for us to offer our cabinets in as many gorgeous colors as possible. Whether you’re looking for a classic neutral like White Paint or a rich, dark color like Dark Sable Stain, we’ve got them all.
- Door options: Just as it’s essential for us to offer lots of variety in our finishes, we also are proud to offer a wide selection of door designs. Whether you’re looking for sharper angles or softer edges, we have something to suit everyone’s dream kitchen design.
All these features and more are available when you choose our Wolf Classic cabinets. Select a door style and finish from the Expression, Insight, or Impact series and begin designing your dream kitchen - on a budget - today!
Additional Money-Saving Tips
In addition to purchasing quality cabinets from Wolf Home Products, there are so many more ways you can save money when creating your dream kitchen. Try a few of these solutions and see where you can save a little extra money in your budget.
1. Keep Your Kitchen Layout the Same
One of the best and most effective ways to cut down on expenses during a kitchen remodel is to avoid changing the layout too much. If you only want to update your cabinets and appliances, keep your layout the same and you'll save time and money.
With this method, nothing in your kitchen will truly be moving. Instead, you’ll be swapping out your old cabinets for new cabinets, old flooring for new flooring, and so on.
This approach saves money for several different reasons. Firstly, it cuts down on labor costs, as it’s less work to exchange one item for another than it would be to re-block an entire kitchen. Secondly, restructuring your kitchen means you’ll need lots of extra materials as well, which also runs into money. To move your kitchen, you’ll need to tear out the old cabinets and redo the floors to make these spaces match the rest of the floor. You’ll also need to tear up part of the floor to install the new cabinets in their new space.
If you’re purely wanting to exchange certain aspects of your kitchen for others, such as updating your cabinets, you’ll be able to choose how much you want to remodel. For example, you could easily decide to replace the cabinets, but not touch the floors or the appliances. When you remodel and restructure the entire kitchen, however, it somewhat forces your hand to redo everything — which inherently requires a far larger budget.
So, what are some of the ways you can work to keep your kitchen layout the same, while still managing to maximize things like storage space?
The answer is to install cabinetry and storage that allows you to fit the most amount of storage into the smallest amount of space. For this, we recommend browsing our Wolf Classic cabinet collection and seeing which cabinets will fit correctly into your space, while simultaneously allowing for the greatest possible amount of storage.
2. Add Some Decorative Accents
Sometimes, you just want a new kitchen. Whether your old one is extremely outdated, or it’s just a design you’ve had for years and have grown tired of, there are plenty of reasons you might be ready for a change. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to achieve the level of change you want if your budget doesn’t allow for it.
Major changes, like a new floor plan and all-new fixtures and appliances, can be expensive. In some cases, things like these may even be cost-prohibitive. Even if your budget is limited, though, there’s no need to worry. You can refresh your kitchen with just a few decorative accents.
To achieve the look and feel of your dream kitchen without changing too many things, we recommend narrowing down your priorities. Decide which parts of your kitchen you’re absolutely determined to redo, whether that’s your countertops, cabinets or something else. Redo this part of your kitchen, then add a splash of fresh excitement with some bright accents. Between these details and the big changes you decided to make, your kitchen will look and feel new, even if it isn’t entirely refinished.
3. Try a Backsplash
One of the best and most cost-effective ways to make your kitchen look brand-new without entirely revamping your design is a great backsplash.
A backsplash sets the tone for your whole kitchen and is usually the first thing to draw someone’s eye as they walk into your space. Even if you don’t love your current appliances, floor or countertops, a striking backsplash can easily draw people’s eyes away from these less-than-ideal features.
Backsplashes can be subdued and fade into the background, or they can be bold and eye-popping. They can come in bright colors and cheerful patterns, or they can be neutral colors with hardly any pattern to speak of. Because of this, a backsplash is one of the best places for you to express your style and personality in your kitchen. Best of all, a new backsplash is far less expensive than a new refrigerator or stove. That makes the backsplash one of the best places to go wild about expressing yourself, while still staying within your budget.
If you’re trying to save money, one of the best ways to do this is to effectively measure for your backsplash. This way, you’ll save yourself from accidentally ordering more material than you need, or from not ordering enough and needing to place a second order.
Here’s how to correctly measure for your backsplash:
- Your goal is to accurately measure the square footage where you are going to install your backsplash. To do this, measure the height of your space, then the width. When you’ve found these two measurements, multiply them together to find your area. Do this for each section of the wall that will be covered in the backsplash, and add the different areas to arrive at your final measurement.
- Divide your total square footage by the area covered by one sheet of backsplash product. This calculation will tell you the correct number of backsplash sheets you’ll need to order to cover your entire space adequately.
- Finally, add an extra 10 percent to the total number of sheets you’ve determined you needed, which will help ensure you have enough additional material in case of mistakes or do-overs. Then, with this number in hand, you can place your order with confidence, knowing you’ll have enough to cover your space.
4. Reuse Your Old Materials
When remodeling your kitchen, keep in mind you don't have to get rid of everything. Even if you don't like the look of an item, sometimes all it takes is a fresh coat of paint to transform its appearance dramatically. Here are some other ways to save on your materials.
- Use furniture from other rooms: Look around your house for items you could use in your kitchen. That bench you've grown tired of in the foyer might work perfectly for your breakfast nook.
- Sell your old things: When remodeling, don't throw away your old counters, appliances and lights — these items are all still usable. Even some of your oldest appliances may fit perfectly in someone else's vintage-style kitchen.
- Look around for better deals: When you find an item you love, it's hard to resist the temptation of just buying it then and there. But if you shop around, you're likely to find a sale. With a little patience and persistence, chances are you'll find your item for less.
- Use that high-end item you want, but less of it: If you want to use fancy cabinet doors, consider using them for the upper cabinets and install a more basic design below. If there's a high-end material you love, just use it as an accent and choose less expensive items for the rest.
- Find things at secondhand stores: Many reuse centers have tons of items and materials you could use for your kitchen remodel. You can get bargain prices on items like counters, hardware, lighting fixtures and sinks. Online shopping sites like eBay and Craigslist are also great places to find secondhand materials. You may even be able to get your hands on some free items from local free-cycle groups.
- Some little details make a big difference: Small, inexpensive accessories can brighten up your entire kitchen. Little changes like new faucets or lighting fixtures can transform the look of the space without much expense. Plants make a room much more inviting, and artwork — such as a painting on the wall or some pottery on the counter — can give your kitchen a particularly customized look.
Set off on Your Remodeling Adventure
A kitchen remodel on a budget — especially a custom one — can be a stressful endeavor full of uncertainty. It's difficult even for remodeling pros to give an estimate unless they know your exact plans. Even then, their guess is a ballpark figure. One thing you can be certain of, however, is that following these cost-saving tips will potentially save you thousands on materials and labor.
For the utmost in practical styling and utility, plus a five-year warranty for your peace of mind, consider using Wolf Classic cabinets in your kitchen remodel. Wolf Classic cabinets provide thoughtful touches and rich details, including solid hardwood components that recall much higher-priced cabinetry you'd find elsewhere. You can choose from three distinct series within this family of cabinet products.
To get started with these or any of our other cabinetry products, find an independent Wolf dealer in your neighborhood today.